Among all US states, DC and American territories, California ranks squarely in the middle when it comes to getting professional dental care.
- Percent of adult Californians who visited a dentist or dental clinic in the past year: 67.7
- Rank among all US states and territories: 31
- Percent who have had their teeth cleaned in the past year: 68.8
- Rank: 30
But when it comes to keeping as many natural teeth as possible, our state does a whole lot better than most.
- Percent of adult Californians who have lost 6 or more teeth due to tooth decay or gum disease: 33.6
- Rank among all US states and territories: 4
- Outranking California: Utah, Hawaii, Guam
- State with the highest percentage of tooth loss: West Virginia (65.6% of the adult population has lost 6 teeth or more)
Of course, six teeth are still quite a lot to lose – not to mention quite expensive to replace! Regular dental visits, eating well, practicing good home hygiene and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are a whole lot cheaper – and support your physical health, as well.